Saturday, January 1, 2011

An Open Door for the New Year

A Prayer
A. W. Tozer wrote the following prayer in his book, The Pursuit of God. This is my heart's cry also. I know that I am in great need of God's work of ongoing grace. Otherwise, my heart immediately begins to grow cold and unmoved by the Cross of Christ. It's just our natural inclination as we live on this low plain.

"O God, I have tasted Thy goodness, and it has both satisfied me and made me thirsty for more. I am painfully conscious of my need for further grace. I am ashamed of my lack of desire. O God, the Triune God, I want to want Thee; I long to be filled with longing; I thirst to be made more thirsty still. Show me Thy glory, I pray Thee, so that I may know Thee indeed. Begin in mercy a new work of love within me. Say to my soul, 'Rise up my love, my fair one, and come away.' Then give me grace to rise and follow Thee up from this misty lowland where I have wandered so long."


A Challenge

As we begin this year of our LORD, 2011, may I encourage you to simply take Christ's promise to heart each day, beginning today, "Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come into him and eat with him, and he with me" (Rev 3:20).
Invite Him in to sup with you, sit at His feet and taste again His incomparable goodness. It will never grow old and you will not regret taking this challenge to heart. And I can assure you that though you may face many difficulties in 2011 (or in any other year), this year will be the most glorious year thus far of your pilgrimage in this misty lowland.


Newer Post Older Post

    Share This

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing and challenging, Sharon. Thank God for new years and chances to begin again. Thank God for His patience and His willingness to continue working with us as we seek to know and obey Him better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful prayer! I too long to be thirsty and have a great desire for my God. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete