Quips and Quotes
"We do not earn or merit anything by taking refuge in God. Hiding in something makes no contribution to the hiding place. All it does is show that we regard ourselves as helpless and the hiding place as a place of rescue." John Piper

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

"Watt" a Bright Idea!


Would you have bought this sad looking light fixture for just under $8? Well, I did and then I wondered why, thinking that no manner of refurbishing could ever make it worthy to be hung in any decent dwelling. Robert usually wonders about my flea market finds, even when I'm confident that something good will come them. I had no such confidence with this sow's ear.

Most any of us would have sent this thing to the dump. It was put together all wrong. After fooling around with it for awhile, I figured out how it should be assembled. Then I took a picture of it so I could remember how to reassemble it after taking it apart for painting.

The first thing I did after dismantling it was to clean each part separately. Then I spay painted it with a white primer (Rust-oleum Ultra Cover Primer). After the primer dried, I sprayed each separate part with Rust-oleum Ultra Cover Heirloom White in the satin finish. I really like this white. And even though I was going from black to white, I only used one coat of primer and one of the heirloom white. As the white coat went on I was beginning to see a glimmer of hope.

Now it was time to reassemble and rewire the lamp. In reassembling it, I kept forgetting to include all the parts. It took four times putting it together. Each time before the fourth and final attempt, I'd realize that I left a part out or threaded a part onto the cord upside down, etc. Then I'd have to take it all apart and start again. Whew! That was one of the most challenging things about redoing the lamp.

After the lamp was reassembled 5 four-inch socket covers were added over the sockets and then 5 forty-watt bent crystal chandelier light bulbs were screwed in. I did not yet have the little lamp shades (found those later at Goodwill for 99 cents each), but when I plugged it in, it was so dazzlingly beautiful and I was so thrilled with the results that I woke Robert up from a dead sleep to show him. He was amazed.  

My new treasure was originally intended for my sewing room, but Robert thought it was just too pretty to hide in a bedroom (now converted to sewing room). So we put it in the little room off the kitchen where the china cabinet is. See it for yourself below. From a sow's ear to a silk purse! What do you think? 


 I was so delightfully surprised when I lit this chandelier for the first time.


 Since it's not a large chandelier, we hung it from a small ceiling medallion as you can see here.


Here's another shot of the ceiling medallion.


And just on more photo, much the same as the others. I want to cover the chain with some of the fabric I used for the valance (you can see it in the background in the first two photos). Other than that this is one finished project that I am very, very happy with!
 

4 Comments:

Jean said...

Great job, Sharon!! I love how the unlovely can be made lovely in the right, caring hands.

Anonymous said...

It's beautiful Sharon! Just goes to show what a little elbow grease and white spray paint can do! Someone would probably buy this in an "antique" shop for over $100 now!
Love,
Anne

R. Lynn said...

WOW!!! I love it Sharon..
It reminds me of 2 Corinthians 4:7
but we have this treasure in earthen vessels, so that the surpassing greatness of the power will be of God and not from ourselves;
I remember a lil bit of what Steve said..
As earthen vessels we are used for debris....
To think that God would use us..only because of the treasure we have is great..not us....he allows us to serve Him..which is very beautiful.
Anyways ..it was something like that.. I am that vessel & am grateful that Icould serve Him..

Starlize02 said...

We have alot in common! I have a garage full of antiques that are unfinished projects...I did however get some done. The only thing I regret not doing is taking a before and after picture with what I did =(. I distressed a wooden bed frame and looking foward to doing more "Room with a past" creativeness! We need to get together, I'd love to ask you for ideas.

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!

_____________________________________________________________________________

© The Good Woman

Permissions:
You are permitted and encouraged to reproduce and distribute this material in any format provided that you do not alter the wording in any way and do not charge a fee beyond the cost of reproduction. For web posting, a link to this document on my website is preferred. Any exceptions to the above must be approved by The Good Woman (Please see email option on sidebar to request permission).


Please include the following statement on any distributed copy written by Sharon Kaufman: By Sharon Kaufman. © The Good Woman. Website: the-good-woman.blogspot.com

Recent Comments

Every Tribe, Nation, Tongue and People...

Occupy Your Time for Christ's Glory!

Sing to Jesus


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

The Good Woman © Layout By Hugo Meira.

TOPO