Quips and Quotes
"We do not earn or merit anything by taking refuge in God. Hiding in something makes no contribution to the hiding place. All it does is show that we regard ourselves as helpless and the hiding place as a place of rescue." John Piper

Monday, November 9, 2009

Goodbye Mama

A photo of my mom, a little over a year ago.

On Monday, November 2nd (2009), I said goodbye to my mom. She was 82 years of age. She died suddenly without any warning. She had been in fairly good health, living at Merrill Gardens Senior Residence, close to my home. She enjoyed playing Bingo, and attended craft classes there and also went to Prime Timers every Thursday to play "Chicken Foot" Dominoes.

So it was quite a shock to loose her. She died because several very large pulmonary embolisms lodged in her pulmonary arteries blocked blood and airflow. I got a call at about 1:00 p.m. from Merrill Gardens that she was being taken by ambulance to the hospital. When I got to the hospital, minutes after she arrived, she had already been put on a ventilator and drugs had been given to induce a coma. I never got to see her awake.

That's the hardest part. She did not know that there was someone there for her. The last time I saw or spoke with her was a few days before when we played our weekly game of Scrabble.

Naturally, I keep thinking of all the things I should have done, but I know God's sovereign will has been done and I rest in that. Still I miss her so much. My heart just sinks when I realize again that she is gone. Death is such a thief.

Meanwhile, there are many changes I want to make immediately in the way I relate to those I love in the here and now. Mainly, I want to stop being so busy and just hug my children, husband and others I love and spend more time with them also. I think about how nice it would have been to give just one more hug to my mom, so I want to take all the opportunities to do that with those that are still living.

Goodbye, Mama. How I miss you.

Photobucket  

4 Comments:

gladtz said...

My prayers go out to you and your family.
November is hard for me..today is the day that my mom was born. She passed away last year from leukemia.
Before she passed away, she smiled at the nurses, saying she is going to heaven. People may say she gave up, but I think she was ready to meet her Savior.

Bern said...

Sharon...I'm so sorry for your lost. I pray that God would meet you and Kathy as you mourn the loss of your mother.

Kendall said...

Sharon- so sad to hear the news of your mom's sudden passing. I spoke w/Kathy and she told me of the week before her passing and it was encouraging! I will never forget her energizing smile that lit up a room. She was a gem and will be missed by many! Please let us know if you need help in any way- love and prayers for you and your family!!! - and thank you for the encouraging words of love to all!! You really do share the love of Christ more than you know!!! Kendall

Sky Fighters said...

hi Mrs.kafman im soory that gg died but the good thing is that she is in hevan with god.Your freind miles

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!

_____________________________________________________________________________

© The Good Woman

Permissions:
You are permitted and encouraged to reproduce and distribute this material in any format provided that you do not alter the wording in any way and do not charge a fee beyond the cost of reproduction. For web posting, a link to this document on my website is preferred. Any exceptions to the above must be approved by The Good Woman (Please see email option on sidebar to request permission).


Please include the following statement on any distributed copy written by Sharon Kaufman: By Sharon Kaufman. © The Good Woman. Website: the-good-woman.blogspot.com

Recent Comments

Every Tribe, Nation, Tongue and People...

Occupy Your Time for Christ's Glory!

Sing to Jesus


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

The Good Woman © Layout By Hugo Meira.

TOPO