Quips and Quotes
"We do not earn or merit anything by taking refuge in God. Hiding in something makes no contribution to the hiding place. All it does is show that we regard ourselves as helpless and the hiding place as a place of rescue." John Piper

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

09-09-09 - A Big Day for Me!

It's kind of a weird thing when a day with digits like this comes around. I guess this is really a rare thing. Today's date with its set of repeating single-digits, will not happen again until for nearly a century (until January 1, 2101), or, for those who are real purists, it will be a bit less than a thousand years (mark your calendars for January 1, 3001).

But it is doubly odd and rare for me because today is my birthday. I am 60 years old. But then, my birthday numbers have been odd from the start. Here are some other strange facts about my birthday numbers in general:

I was born on 9-9-49 at 4:49 in the morning.

On 9-9-99 I turned 50.

My phone numbers have always had 4s and 9s in them (given randomly to me by the phone company). This is true for both my current home phone and cell phone. (Home phone has two 4s and two 9s.)

And perhaps the strangest thing of all is how the calender is even shouting at me today about my age:
Today is:
09 - 09 - 09

But turn these numbers upside down and you get:
60 - 60 - 60

It's enough that I turned sixty today without the calendar rubbing it in! And then there's the thought that at the age of 60 one's life is also turned upside-down. But do I feel that way? Not at all! My life is hidden with Christ in God (Colossians 3:3). What is 60 when a glorious eternity with your beautiful Savior is before you? I've just begun to live.

But in thinking about my life here on planet earth, I have had some questions as of late that have caused me to think about what I am doing with the remainder of my time here below. Mainly one question keeps popping up: "Am I really doing God's will?" "How do I know?" Perhaps, as a woman, you've had these thoughts also. It seems that being down with my knee surgery and also the anticipation of turning sixty have stimulated these kinds of musings.

This morning as I met with the Lord, however, those questions were answered. I read in Ephesians 1, "Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God..." As my eyes rolled over that statement, I stopped and asked, "Can I say that, Lord? Am I doing your will? Please confirm to me what your will for my life is."

As soon as I finished praying, 1 Timothy 5:9-10 came to my mind. "A widow is to be put on the list only if she is not less than sixty years old, having been faithful to her husband, having a reputation for good works; and if she has brought up children, if she has shown hospitality to strangers, if she has washed the saints' feet, if she has assisted those in distress, and if she has devoted herself to every good work."

This is God's will for a woman's life. This text is laying out when a widow should be supported by the church. She had to have been faithful in the things listed - the things of God- or, as it hit home to me, God's will. Though she is now a widow, the activities listed were what she did during her lifetime which included her married years.

Parts of or all of this text apply to all women depending on their marital status. But when I read it I knew exactly what I should be doing. Being faithful to my husband, loving my children and grandchildren, sharing my home and sustenance with the saints, being willing to do even the lowliest work for the body of Christ, coming to the aid of those with urgent needs, and generally devoting myself to good works are the things laid out as God's will for the Christian woman. (Other texts also reveal this. Read Titus 2:3-5 and Proverbs 31:10-31)

It was a comfort to be reminded of these simplicities. Sometimes I just want to make things so difficult. Shouldn't I be out in the far-away lands, suffering for Christ? Well, yes, if and when God were to call me to that. For now He has not.

This has been a a blessed day from the beginning - another birthday accompanied by the Lord. He confirmed to me that I am doing His will and that His will is never burdensome, but a joy. I so needed that!
Photobucket  

3 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Why did the little boy put candles on the toilet?
Because it was his birthday potty!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOM!!

-Bethany

Arlene Miranda said...

Happy Birthday to my favorite older woman in my life! Love you! :-)

Just Me said...

Well written and really hits home to me. Thank you for writing this!

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!

_____________________________________________________________________________

© The Good Woman

Permissions:
You are permitted and encouraged to reproduce and distribute this material in any format provided that you do not alter the wording in any way and do not charge a fee beyond the cost of reproduction. For web posting, a link to this document on my website is preferred. Any exceptions to the above must be approved by The Good Woman (Please see email option on sidebar to request permission).


Please include the following statement on any distributed copy written by Sharon Kaufman: By Sharon Kaufman. © The Good Woman. Website: the-good-woman.blogspot.com

Recent Comments

Every Tribe, Nation, Tongue and People...

Occupy Your Time for Christ's Glory!

Sing to Jesus


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

The Good Woman © Layout By Hugo Meira.

TOPO